Job Title: Financial Accountant
Post Reference Number: 005284
Working Hours: 37
Salary Range: £45,495 to £47,573 pa - pro rata for hours worked
ABOUT THE ROLE
This hybrid role provides support to the Head of Technical Accounting and the wider technical accounting team ensuring relevant transactions are posted into the finance system. The role includes regular and ad hoc financial project tasks. Key tasks include:
• Provision of accounting and technical service for the Statement of Accounts of the Council and council owned / part owned companies
• Monitor and control in-year reconciliations prepared by the Reconciliation Team
• Conduct balance sheet reviews
• Collate and post the rent journals
• Prepare and submit quarterly VAT returns and the annual partial exemption calculation
• Provide financial analysis of suppliers and customers in relation to contracts / tenders and credit facilities.
• Compile and publish financial transparency data
• Co-ordinate the maintenance of the council’s monthly cashflow forecast, forecast interest and borrowing costs for quarterly monitoring reports.
• Responsibility for completing statutory returns.
The successful candidate will
• Be CCAB Qualified or qualified by experience / Graduate with a Degree in a Finance and post graduate experience
• Have a comprehensive in-depth knowledge of financial processes and procedures in a Local Authority or similar organisation
• Have knowledge of the latest issues affecting local government
• Have experience of preparing statutory accounts (closure of accounts), filing accounts, corporation tax computations, and VAT returns
We offer a range of benefits to support our staff including:
• Pension Scheme: We offer a career average pension scheme, providing generous benefits upon retirement, as well as a lump sum and pension for dependants
• Flexible working: available upon request, subject to operational requirements.
• Part time and Job share: all our full time vacancies are open to job share unless otherwise stated.
• A variety of different types of paid and unpaid leave covering emergency and planned leave, maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
• 25 days holiday rising to 31 days (depending on Local Government service)
• An extensive range of learning and development opportunities
• Confidential advice and support on personal, work, family and relationship issues, 24/7, from our Employee Assistance Programme
• Season ticket loans and discounts for public transport
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Stevenage Credit Union: secure savings, free life insurance and access to cheap loans.
• Employee Discounts: via monthly paid membership of the Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC)
• Discounted Health and Fitness membership
• Trade Unions: For a small fee, all employees have the opportunity to join a Trade Union.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Rhona Bellis 07513 722249
To apply online, please visit https://jobs.stevenage.gov.uk/StevenageBorough/Home
Closing date for receipt of applications: 16 April 2023
Interviews will be held week commencing: 24 April 2023
Please note that if we receive a large volume of applications for this role, we reserve the right to close this vacancy ahead of the published closing date
Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, volunteers and recruitment candidates to share this commitment. SBC shall take all reasonable steps to employ staff who are safe to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults. For posts identified with regular contact with these groups applicants will be required to undertake a Value Based Interview. The council supports the legislative requirements for employing and maintaining safer staff and the guidance specified by Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board
Stevenage Borough Council is committed to Equal Opportunities for All. For further information please click https://www.stevenage.gov.uk/about-the-council/jobs-and-careers/equal-opportunities